Beatrix

Beatrix

Taming the Beast: A Novel (P.S.)

Taming the Beast - Emily Maguire I have not, in a while, read a book that left me so emotionally engaged! I do not think I have the words to sum up what this book will make you feel: at times sad, enraged, disappointed, disgusted, repulsed …and so on, and so forth.

I was mostly okay, up until that fourth part, it is mainly a reason why I gave it 4 stars, even though this is an excellent 5-stars book: with outstanding writing (something that is probably the most important to me), plot, characters, everything; but I had to take my own feelings into consideration, because this book did disturb me, so yes, it is subjective.

Taming the Beast follows a path of a young, damaged woman on the road of self-destruction. It is a portrayal of abuse, in its truest form. Not only was she seduced abused by her English teacher at the tender age of 14, she was also raped at the age of 16;, rejected by her entire family, but in the following 8 years, she self-abused her body, in a series of meaningless sexual encounters, all the while trying to recapture what she experienced with Daniel Carr.

She is like an addict, constantly repeating the same things in the hopes of gaining something higher, but constantly falling back down..

The ending; I expected something along those lines, but it still saddened me. I knew she could not be saved, she’s simply too far gone, but the fact that she recognized the wrongness of it, but still embraced it, affected me the most. We always have a choice in life, and Sarah choose hers – her beast with two backs, for it was an easier way out.

But then, life is a constant withering of possibilities. Some are stolen with the lives of people you love. Others are let go, with regret and reluctance and deep, deep sorrow.

I would not recommend this book to anyone; I’m afraid that people would not see its beauty, would be too repulsed to find a message amongst that horridness.

And I think many people don’t understand Sarah – why she did not go to the police or don’t consider this abuse if she wanted it… No, this is abuse, even if she was not aware of it!

To write this book, author needed a great understanding of human psychology and behaviours of abused person, and I think, to read it, we do too.