Beatrix

Beatrix

Killing Sarai (Killing Sarai, #1)

Killing Sarai (Killing Sarai, #1) - J.A. Redmerski 3.5 stars

First of all, this book was tagged as New Adult romance, but it's not. This is a much more serious story. And the romance is there, but to me it wasn’t a central part. This book is about Sarai, 23 year old girl who’s spent the last 9 years of her life in Mexico in the hands of Javier, a drug lord and all things evil.

I’ve seen a movie a few years back that deals with things mentioned here: sex trafficking, abuse of women.. It’s called Trade, and I’d recommend it, just to get the general image and see the things that happen to girls around the world!

Now back to the story. I guess I just expected something different and was not prepared for such a dark theme. MC Sarai – she’s the victim of abuse, traumatized, mentally scarred for life. She will never be able to function in normal life, because to her murder and death are normal. She’s obviously suffering from Stockholm syndrome. All throughout the book we can see the consequences of abuse she suffered, she’s a ticking time bomb and I truly felt sorry for her.

This book was very serious to me, I don’t know - perhaps the author did intend this to be NA romance, but she wrote about things I take seriously – sex trafficking and I’m very sensitive about that.

Now the other MC Victor – he’s a cold blooded murdered, an assassin and only Sarai managed to break through his shield. At the beginning he’s very cold to her, and that was okay, but as the book progressed I expected some warmth, some sparks between them. But no. Only when we get his POV we can see that he’s thinking about her, but he doesn’t really show it. If this book was only in Sarai’s POV I’d doubt Victor. That is why I had problems with visualizing him, all the while I felt like there was a black veil around him, I couldn’t quite picture him. He’s so cold, robotic; I guess that’s only fair since he is an assassin. But this is not a love story, Sarai fell for Victor, I think in him she saw a protector, she cling to him.

Anyway, this is a good book, I will be reading the second part, I’m curious how the story goes on. The problem was in me, this week I’ve been feeling off and I needed something light to read, this book was anything but. Also I didn’t had much time, so I dragged this on, I couldn’t get into it like I usually do. And I usually don't have a custom to write reviews about books I give lower grades too, but I felt I had to say something about this one.

Overall, a good book, I just didn’t enjoy it that much and when reading this book don’t expect fluffy rainbows and HEA.